Great article by David Rock for HBR.
He identifies 7 different essential mental activities that will keep us mentally healthy, provided that we get the balance right! Rather like a balanced food plate we need some of all of them but not too much of each. They are:
1. Focused Time - When we focus on goals and tasks, thinking about things and problem-solving in ways that make deep neurological connections in the brain when we are in the Beta brain wave state.
2. Play Time - When we allow ourselves to be spontaneous or creative, playfully enjoying novel experiences, which also help to make new connections in the brain, but in a different way to Focused Time.
3. Connecting Time - This is social time when we connect with other people, either in person on on the phone and it richly activates the brain's social circuitry.
4. Physical Time - When we move our bodies, aerobically if possible, which strengthens the brain in many ways.
5. Time In - When we quietly reflect internally, such as meditation, focusing on sensations, images, feelings and thoughts, in the Alpha brainwave state which helps us to heal emotionally, mentally and physically.
6. Down Time - When we are non-focused, without any specific goal, and let our mind wander or simply relax, which helps our brain relax and recharge.
7. Sleep Time - When we give the brain the rest it needs to consolidate learning and recover from the experiences of the day.
If you want to read the full article, go to
My best wishes as always,